Departures Leipzig (LEJ)Departures flight plan for Tuesday, 20 August 2019*
Arrivals Leipzig (LEJ)Arrivals flight plan for Tuesday, 20 August 2019*
7 Flight routes to & from Leipzig (LEJ)
Deutsche Lufthansa (LH156, LH160, LH154, LH158), ANA All Nippon Airways (NH6227), Air Canada (AC9275), United Airlines (UA9115), TAP Air Portugal (TP7842)
Sun Express (XQ275), Condor (DE858, DE392), Corendon Airlines (XC3042, XC6042, XC824, XC826, XC431)
- URL: Leipzig (LEJ)
- Time zone: GMT 1
- Service telephone: +49 341 224-1155
- Address: Flughafen Leipzig/Halle GmbH, Postfach 1, D-04029 Leipzig
- Operating company: Flughafen Leipzig/Halle GmbH
- Parking: Yes; paid parking – about 5800 short and log term spaces.
- Nearby cities: Wahren (10 km), Leipzig (16 km), Halle (18 km), Halle-Neustadt (22 km), Gera (64 km), Jena (72 km), Chemnitz (82 km), Neustadt (90 km), Erfurt (98 km)
- Directions by car: Motorways A9, A14 (exit Schkeuditz/Flughafen)
- Stations: Airport train station (Deutsche Bahn, DB)
- Flight distribution on the days of the week: Monday (15.28%), Tuesday (15.02%), Wednesday (14.48%), Thursday (15.53%), Friday (15.09%), Saturday (10.86%), Sunday (13.74%)
- Alternative spelling: Flughafen Leipzig-Halle, Halle, Halle-Leipzig, Lipsia-Halle, Lipsko-Halle, Leypsiq, Lipcse, Lipsk-Halle, Leipciga, Lajpcig, Λειψία, Лейпциг-Галле, Лейпцыг, Лайпциг, Лајпциг, לייפציג, لايبتسغ, لايبزغ, لایپزیگ, ไลพ์ซิก, Լայպցիգ, ლაიფციგი, লাইপ্ৎসিশ, लिपजिग, लाइपझिश, लाइपजि, ライプツィヒ-ハレ, 라이프치히, 莱比锡
Most popular destinations from Leipzig (Flights per week )
Top airlines (percentage of departures and arrivals)
First in use in 1927, the airport is in the town of Schkeuditz, about 20 km or 14 miles north west of Leipzig and about 25 km or 17 miles southeast of Halle/Saale. Motorists should take the motorway A9/E51 exit "Schkeuditzer Kreuz" or via the motorway A14 exit "Schkeuditz".
Just next to the airport terminal is the airport railway station which was completed in the summer of 2003. Now a large number of local and national DB train services serve the airport directly. The airport express operates to the main station in Leipzig every day at 30 minute intervals - the journey takes about 12 minutes.
Bus number 202 operates a regular service between the airport and the nearby town of Radefeld. The "AutobahnExpress Schnelllinienbus GmbH" serves both the airport and the car park P3 and several cities and towns in central Germany. More details are available locally and on the internet.
Prior to today's airport, the two airfields Leipzig / Halle and Mockau / Nietleben both existed in the Leipzig area, but lost in significance due to political decisions of the German Reich.
In the 1920s, East German air space was reorganised and the decision was taken to construct a new airport for the metropolitan Leipzig area. Located between the cities, Schkeuditz was the perfect location for the new airport. The airport was finally opened in 1927. Until the Second World War, the airport could boast large traffic numbers and in 1937 even ranked amongst the fourth busiest airports in Germany.
After the end of World War II, commercial flights were only again operated at the airport in 1972. In previous years, the grounds were used for engineering and air shows. A terminal building that was built in 1966 during most of the year served as a motorway service station and only turned into a reception area during the air shows.
Despite economic difficulties, departure areas were extended and navigation facilities and a new arrivals hall built until the late 1980's.
After German reunification, the newly formed Leipzig GmbH was able to resume building works due to help from West German airports, which was decisive in the development of Leipzig airport. New terminal buildings were constructed, the runways repaired and access roads and parking spaces created. In 2000, the airport obtained its new 3600 m long runway and gained in significance as it now fulfilled all the conditions for an intercontinental airport.
When in 2004, the German Post World Net decided to establish the European DHL hub here, Leipzig airport was again of massive importance. The inauguration took place in 2008.