Departures Dresden (DRS)Departures flight plan for Friday, 12 August 2022*
Arrivals Dresden (DRS)Arrivals flight plan for Friday, 12 August 2022*
- URL: Dresden (DRS)
- Time zone: GMT 1
- Service telephone: +49 351 881-0
- Address: Flughafen Dresden, Flughafenstraße, Postfach 80 01 64, D-01101 Dresden
- Operating company: Flughafen Dresden GmbH
- Parking: Yes; paid parking - 3000 short and long term spaces
- Nearby cities: Dresden (9 km), Chemnitz (68 km)
- Directions by car: A4 and A13 motorways, B97
- Stations: The S-Bahn S2 (city commuter train) links the airport to Neustädt station (about 13 minutes) and the main station (about 22 minutes)
- Flight distribution on the days of the week: Monday (14.66%), Tuesday (14.46%), Wednesday (15.02%), Thursday (15.37%), Friday (15.48%), Saturday (13.00%), Sunday (12.02%)
- Alternative spelling: Dresde, Dresda, Drážďany, Drezno, Drježdźany, Drezden, Drezda, Dresdn, Дрэздэн, Δρέσδη, Дрезден, درسدن, دريسدن, דרזדן, Դրեզդեն, დრეზდენი, เดรสเดิน, ड्रेसडेन, 드레스덴, ドレスデン, 德勒斯登
Most popular destinations from Dresden (Flights per week )
- Frankfurt-Main (40, 22,35 %)
- Munich (33, 18,44 %)
- Dusseldorf (22, 12,29 %)
- Palma de Mallorca (15, 8,38 %)
- Cologne (Koeln)-Bonn (14, 7,82 %)
- Stuttgart (14, 7,82 %)
- Zurich (Zürich)-Kloten (14, 7,82 %)
- Amsterdam Schiphol (8, 4,47 %)
- Moscow Sheremetyevo (8, 4,47 %)
- Basel - Euroairport (5, 2,79 %)
- other (3.35 %)
Top airlines (percentage of departures and arrivals)
- Lufthansa (108, 10,98 %)
- Eurowings (108, 10,98 %)
- TAP Air Portugal (99, 10,06 %)
- United Airlines (87, 8,84 %)
- Air Canada (74, 7,52 %)
- Aegean Airlines (74, 7,52 %)
- ANA All Nippon Airways (63, 6,40 %)
- Air China (48, 4,88 %)
- Singapore Airlines (43, 4,37 %)
- South African Airways (32, 3,25 %)
- other (25.2 %)
Opened in 1935, the airport is located about 11 km or 8 miles northeast of Dresden's city centre, in the district of Klotzsche. Motorists may reach the airport directly on the A4 motorway leaving at exit "Dresden-Flughafen" or on the national road 97.
The regular S-Bahn train 2 serves Dresden railway station and the airport. The public bus numbers 77 and 80 also stop at the airport.
The first person to take off from Dresden, was Mrs. Wilhelmine Reichard with a balloon in September, 1811. The first flight with a plane took off about 100 years. When the sitze of the old airport became too small due to increadsed traffic, Dresden airport was opened in 1935 in Klotzsche.
Due to the Second World War, civilian use only actually began after 1955. Until 1960, there were no adequate facilities for passenger use at the airport, and passengers were therefore checked in nearby at Dresden's main station. The passengers were transported from there by bus onto the runway and brought directly to the waiting aircraft.
In 1980, GDR domestic air traffic was stopped as it was unprofitable, so that flights from Dresden were only operated to destinations in East and Southeast Europe. 20 years ago plans to make Dresden the centre of the aircraft industry in the GDR were already abandoned. However, this did not mean that Dresden was from then on an insignificant provincial airport, it was also used as an airplane hangar for servicing military as well as civilian aircraft.
In the 1980s, Dresden airport belonged to the National People's Army, which renewed the runway. Interflug, an airline that has ceased to exist, restored the airport buildings and the departure lounge. Reopening took place at exactly the same time as German Reunification.
After the fall of the Berlin Wall, domestic flights were again operated from the airport. In the next few years, the newly established Flughafen Dresden GmbH extended and renewed the departure areas and access roads.