Information about Wizz Air
- URL: http://wizzair.com/
- Telephone: +44 /0)90729201022 (Calls charged at 92 p/minute. Calls from mobile networks may be charged at a higher rate.)
- Type of airline: Low-cost airline
- Country: Hungary (HU)
- Call sign: Wizzair
- Address: Wizz Air Hungary Airlines Ltd. Airport Business Park C2, Lőrinci út 59, 2220 Vecsés, Ungarn
- Home airport: BUD
- Year founded: 2003
- Type of company: Limited
- Number of aircraft: 39
- Passengers per year: 1,889,608
- Check-in opens: 120 min
- Check-in closes: 40 min
- Baggage allowance: 20 kg
- Hand luggage / hold luggage: 10 kg, 55 cm x 40 cm x 20 cm
- Seat reservation charge: £7 online or £14 at the airport for advanced and extra leg room seats.
- Charge for sporting equipment: £26 online or £34 at airport.
Wizz Air is a Hungarian low-cost airline that was established in 2003. Wizzair operates flights from the UK and Ireland to European destinations such as Warsaw or Girona. From the United Kingdom, the airline operates flights from London Luton, Liverpool and Glasgow, for example.
The Hungarian-Polish airline Wizz Air currently (October 2007) owns 54 Airbus A320-232 with another 36 ordered as well as an order of 30 Airbus A321-231.
The low-cost airline Wizz Air was founded in 2003 by the former head of the Hungarian Malév in London.The airline has in the meantime registered subsidiaries in Poland, Hungary and Bulgaria. After receiving its licence, the airlines maiden flight departed on 19th May 2004 from Katowice to Budapest. The airline, which registers enormous growth every year, has since added many routes to its itinerary and, after inadequate response, discontinued these again.
Wizz Air currently flies from its bases in Katowice, Budapest, Poznan, Warsaw, Bucharest and Sofia to more than 30 different European airports including London, Barcelona, Zagreb, Athens, Paris, Eindhoven, Rome, Stockholm and Belfast.